It's Who We Are
At Sunset Zoo we are committed to our mission of "inspiring conservation of the natural world." Additionally, to maintain our accreditation through the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) we must support in-the-field conservation efforts.
We take this challenge seriously. Many of the animals in our collection face serious threats to their wild populations and scientists are predicting several species could become extinct in our lifetime. Zoos and aquariums around the world do more than connect the public to amazing animals. We are also diligent in ensuring these inspiring creatures are protected for future generations.
The Friends of Sunset Zoo (FOSZ) provides financial support for the majority of the Zoo’s conservation initiatives. Additionally, FOSZ has established a Conservation Team named in honor of Dr. Bob Klemm, the Zoo’s inaugural Director of Conservation and Research. This volunteer committee works with Zoo staff to recommend how FOSZ support can make the most impact. Read on to learn more about the ways Manhattan’s Sunset Zoo supports wildlife conservation; locally and globally. We hope you’ll join us.
- Cans For Conservation: Area youth join the cause
- FOSZ Conservation Team: Learn more about this volunteer committee
- Global Efforts: From the vast plains of the Paraguayan Chaco to the Asuncíon Zoo, we’ve had a rich history of support in this Latin American country
- Local Efforts: Protecting and preserving animals in your backyard
- Work with Other Zoos: Partnering with our colleagues to save endangered animals
- Sunset Zoo partners with the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch® program to promote sustainable seafood messaging.